Friday 17 June 2011

Final Outcome and Evaluation

Final Evaluation





In creating my outcome, I had to convey the theme of memories. My intended outcome for this project is a window display that would show one of the different types of the 5 senses which I think where prominent in my summer and how overtime they changed from being kept in a box.  Also showing me as the centre of the piece.

My client who was chestnut grove school commissioned me to create a window installation, which would display my summer as an artist and displaying it. The artist from the LIFT project did influence, as working with these artists was useful as it was good to get out of the learning environment and explore more opportunities that can be done with art. For example, Dan helped us to convey sound through the windows, using T.V’s and CCTV. Sue helped us with the performance side of it, of how we would convey ‘our’ archives. The artist also taught as valuable lesson to teach, for example, Eddie who was more rounded and was experienced in both fields, working with sound and performances. His work now, linked in with ours as he was archiving a project called promised lands that related to the Bible references.

In creating my experiment, I looked at a range of other artists. Of which my main artist I decided to link my outcome to Phil Borges who lived and travelled and documented indigenous and tribal cultures around the world. Through his work, he strives to create a heightened understanding of the issues faced by people in the developing world. I applied this into my outcome by using the photographs from my summer of people that I lived and travelled with. Using a different artist for type of photo that were taken I decided to use Elinor Carucci for her portraits of pictures that were used with different themes.

I have chosen this photography artist as they all have a cohesive theme throughout their pictures, as they all work through themes, I have specifically chosen portrait and people who all work in black and white in conjunction to the cliché Verre experiments which would be great onto my background on my installation.   

The experiments that I used where mark marking for the layering onto the body parts and placing the spices that I smelt and. As for the cliché Verre, this is used to create a copy of black and white portraits that derived from my main artists.  As mod roc was my main experiment, this had many constraints, as it required labour of patience. For example, a piece might break because of not enough drying time, or not enough moisture, as this was the main focus it had to be executed well.  

Secondly, for the body parts these where created for my body parts. This concept came I used from Amy Thompson, both her obsessive research and creative experimentation direct and shape each piece she designs, often using sculptural methods to exaggerate and manipulate silhouette and scale in order to discover the overall effect desired.

Using experience from the Lift artists and project to create a space were work was made in layers, that could include paintings, drawings, video, photography and performance. To follow in the footsteps of the performers of the Urban Dream Capsule we created a space inside the window where we would call it ours, using a mixture of personal objects, using a ray of other artists.

Lastly, as time came to display the hanging body another constraint as the first idea as to hang it as support was the biggest problem, as these body parts are delicate. Therefore, I decided to abandon the idea, but make the body parts sit, as you would be travelling.  

Overall, I think my outcome was a success as I was able to create an space that was filled with the greatest sense smell and sight which can take you back to any memory with or without people. I also think it met my aims of showing my summer holiday using a range of techniques I developed through experiments.  However, I would of like to include more aspects of my summer of the prints I created through an outfit or scarf of the prints, colours etc.

Preparation for the window installation:

The theme of this project is archiving memories within your summer box, how are you going to convey your summer within an installation? I asked myself. First thought was I needed to narrow it down. The sub-theme I came up with is Travel. This came about as I did a lot of travelling through the summer.
Each part of the installation, symbolizes the body as being pupperted through the summer. The train track, the background pictures as the people that I was consitantly surrounded with and the spices that where coated within, to represent the food, and the vibe that was throughout my summer. The prep for the exam started with me constructing mod roc model's of my hands, feet, shoulders and face. This continued on to a train track   As this, was to represent me within the summer
 Mod roc (Hands, Face, feet, shoulders)






















The making of the train track and dyeing





Dye







Installation Day:
The day of the exhibition was stressful, cause I had so many little compartments that needed to be filled and sewed. Firstly, I wanted to re-create the smell of my summer that was filled with spices and perfumes. The hands, shoulders, and feet where carefully placed with each clove, garam masala, tumeric and cardamons. This symbolized the air that was constantly filled.















No comments: